Hail Storm Safety Tips
In an Automobile
- Stop driving. If you see a safe place close-by (like inside a garage or under a service station awning), drive to it as soon as you can. Make sure you pull completely off the highway.
- Do NOT leave the vehicle until it stops hailing.
- Stay away from car windows. Cover your eyes with something, like a piece of clothing. If possible, get onto the floor facedown or lie down on the seat with your back to the windows.
- Put very small children under you and cover their eyes.
In a Building
- Stay inside until the hail stops.
- Stay away from windows.
- Account for all family members, building occupants, pets, etc.
- Do not go outside for any reason.
- To avoid the danger of electrocution from lightning, avoid using phones and electrical appliances during a severe storm.
- Seek shelter immediately. If you can’t find something to protect your entire body, find something to protect your head.
- Stay out of culverts and lowland areas that may suddenly fill with water.
- Seeking shelter under trees should be a last resort. It is common during severe storms for trees to lose branches.